Eagles News · Softball advances to state

With a state berth at stake, Oak Mountain and Thompson would square off for the first time of the season. It would take extra innings and a comeback, but the Eagles would qualify for state for the first time in 16 years with a 7-6 win.

Thompson would take an early lead by getting a run in the first on a error, but have the second runner cut down at the plate to only have a 1-0 lead.

Oak Mountain would go up in the top half of the third on RBI doubles from Abbi Brown and Cassady Greenwood to make it a 2-1 game.

The Warriors would regain the lead at 4-1 in their half of the third, with a two run RBI single from Kennedy Foote, but miss an opportunity for more. With the bases loaded and only one out, Madison Plunkett would hit a hard shot down the third base line that was grabbed by Maddie Katona who stepped on the bag for the double play to end the threat.

In the fifth, a solo HR from M’Kiyah Mitchell, her second on the day, would trim the Thompson lead to 4-3.

Thompson would add to their lead with two runs on two hits to make it a 6-3 game after five full innings.

With two outs in the sixth, freshman Riley Sullivan would get a rally started with a single up the middle, then steal second base. Katona would then slap a high bouncer in front of the plate that was fielded by both the pitcher and catcher. On the play, they collided to the ground, allowing Sullivan to score from second base and Katona to advance to second. Jenna Galloway would score Katona a double to left center to make it a 6-5 game. Galloway would score to tie it at 6-6 on a hard hit ball by Brown that was thrown away at first.

After seven complete innings of play, the score remained tied at 6-6.

In the top of the eight, Oak Mountain was able to get a run on the board to go up 7-6, but would leave the bases loaded.

Thompson was not one to back down from a challenge, as Foote would lead off the bottom of the eighth with a deep double to centerfield. After a line out, Plunkett singled to left to put runners on the corners and only one out. On an 0-1 pitch, Abby Kellogg would hit a high pop up in foul territory over first base. After the catch in deep foul ground, Foote would be sent home to try to tie the game up. Clara Fuller would manage to get the ball out and throw it home in time to nail the runner at home plate on a bang-bang play to end the game and send the Eagles to the state championships for the first time since 2002.

Lacy Marty would again go the distance on the mound for the Eagles for the win in eight innings, making her 2-0 in the regional tournament.

Mitchell and Greenwood would pace the Eagles at the plate with two hits each with Katona, Galloway, and Brown each contributing an RBI each. Oak Mountain will play Wednesday at 10:45 AM against Buckhorn in the first round of the state championship.